Doris Jackson Chaplain
1032 Warbler Ave.
Lorimor, Iowa 50149
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
John 14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
As newly installed Chaplains, please pray for our veterans, our military, some deployed far from home and their families, who wait at home for their safe return, and all the members of The American Legion Family.
Remember them by:
· Praying daily
· Sending cards for all occasions
· Visiting them in their home, nursing home or hospital
· Sending card, wreath, flowers for deceased members” visitation
· Holding memorial services and draping Unit’s charter in black
· Opening and closing meetings with prayer.
· Make a “Book of Prayers and Inspirations” for your Unit President
· Mentor new chaplains and guide Junior members
· Reporting deceased members to District and Department Chaplains
· Remember Gold Star Mothers in September, Veterans in November, Four Chaplains in February, deceased veterans and members in May
· Make a “Thinking of You” booklets and have unit members sign and write notes to be sent to nursing homes
The American Legion Auxiliary Chaplains provide spiritual and emotional guidance when needed or requested, always sending dignity and respect to the occasion. The Chaplains’ Prayer Book for the American Legion Auxiliary has many prayers appropriate for any occasion, including Invocations, Benedictions, Memorial Services and holidays.
I will be making a book of prayers, poems or sayings for President Vickie throughout the year. Please send me something that you like so that I can put it in her book. Remember her symbol is the white mustang and her colors are red, blue and purple. Let’s make this book as unique as the white horse President Vickie rode at Department Installation. Please send to my email address listed above or by snail mail.
Remember: Units send report of deceased members to their County and District Chaplains. District Chaplains send deceased report to Department Chaplain by July 1, 2018. Each Unit Chaplain is encouraged to send a mid-year report to the Department Chaplain by January 1, 2018 as well as an end-of-year report by May 1, 2018 for purposes of the Department Chaplain reporting activities to the National Chaplain.
Best Book of Prayers and Inspirations:
Class I: District Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her District President
Class II: Unit Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit President
Class III: District Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for Junior Department
Class IV: Unit Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit Junior President
Rules for all classes are the same with exceptions:
1. Use 8½ x 11 paper. Pages should be typed (Junior’s – can be handwritten). Leave 1” border on all sides of each page. Use pictures or clipart to decorate.
2. Cover may be folder of your choice, notebook, construction paper or tother decorative paper. Cover page must have “Prayers and Inspirations” centered and the American Legion Auxiliary emblem (available through Emblem Sales) at the top of the page.
3. The first page shall include the name and address of the member submitting the entry, the class category, unit name and number, county, district, and to whom the book is dedicated.
4. There is a maximum of 20 pages (40 if using both sides).
5. Judged on neatness, quality, creativity, and content. You may use President Vickie’s theme, symbol and songs. Book should have a theme tying all entries together.
Best Booklet of Prayers and Inspirations or “Thinking of You” booklet. (Used for nursing homes/shut-ins)
Class I: Any Senior Auxiliary Member Class II: Any Junior Auxiliary Member
Rules for both classes
1. Use 8½ x 11 paper, folded in half. Size of booklet will be 8½ x 5½. You may use a 10” plastic photo album. Pages may be typed or neatly handwritten. Use pictures, your own artwork, or stickers.
2. Cover may be construction paper or other decorative paper folded to correct size. Cover must have “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” centered along with the American Legion Auxiliary emblem at the top of the page.
3. First page must include the name and address of the member submitting the book, class category, unit name and number, county and district. Maximum of 20 pages.
4. Judged on neatness, quality, creativity, and content. You may use President Vickie’s theme or personally-created theme. These are not judged by District Chaplains. Please submit your entry directly to Department Chaplain Doris Jackson.
Booklets are due to Department Chaplain Doris Jackson, and postmarked by April 30, 2018. Booklets may be picked up at end of Senior or Junior Department Conventions.
Department Chaplain Doris Jackson, 1032 Warbler Avenue, Lorimor, IA 50149, 515-468-1274, firstname.lastname@example.org