The hearts of our Juniors will be on fire for Veterans this year. Our Juniors are our future so it is very important to keep them involved. Help our Juniors show their burning passion of supporting our veterans by engaging them in unit and district meetings, activities, and projects. Juniors are encouraged to recruit new members by spreading the warmth of their hearts into the community, their schools, churches, and neighborhoods. Do this by sharing what it means to be a Junior member.
Advise Juniors to promote Americanism in their communities. Have Juniors participate in parades with their Senior Auxiliary members. Provide opportunity for your Juniors to learn about the Pledge of Allegiance, proper flag etiquette, and what each fold represents when folding a flag. Encourage Juniors to collect pop tabs to help families staying at the Ronald McDonald Houses.
Veterans and Military and their Families
Encourage Juniors to support and recognize veterans and military who are deployed or returning, along with their families. Have Juniors make cards or care packages during the holidays or Veterans Day, thanking them for their service. Visit nursing homes in local communities. Collect items for needy Veterans in a community (food drive or clothing for homeless veterans). Collect school supplies for local schools or military kids. Adopt a veteran or military family and volunteer to run errands, baby-sit, mow the lawn, or clean their house.
Promote and encourage Junior participation in the Patch Program
Help Juniors earn patches. The Patch Program activities can be found on the Junior Member Activities page in the Members Only section at www.ALAforVeterans.org. Older Juniors can help encourage younger Juniors earn patches at a meeting. At unit functions, provide Juniors opportunity to accomplish the requirements needed to earn a patch. The use of electronic patches on Juniors’ social media sites is encouraged.
Junior Activities Awards
Junior Public Relations Award- An award presented to the Junior group with the best media coverage of their activities or a project. Narrative must include the award cover sheet located in the program Plan, not to exceed 500 words. Please include specific examples of displays, ALA events, speeches, social media activity, etc. Entries must be sent in to the Department Junior Activities Chairman by April 30, 2017. All entries will be sent to the National Chairman by June 1, 2017.
Unit Award- An award presented to the unit with the most outstanding Junior Activities program. Entry must be typewritten in narrative form not to exceed 1,000 words and must include the award cover sheet located in the program Plan. Please include pictures electronically or via postal mail. Entries must be sent in to the department chairman by April 30, 2017. All entries will be sent to the national division chairman by June 1, 2017.
Department Award- An award presented to the department with the most outstanding Junior Activities program. Entry must be typewritten in narrative form not to exceed 1,000 words and must include the award cover sheet located in the program Plan. Please include specific examples of how your Juniors worked the ALA mission along with pictures, news articles, etc. Entries must be sent in to the department chairman by April 30, 2017. All entries will be sent to the national division chairman by June 1, 2017.
Junior Member of the Year Award- Each unit can nominate a deserving Junior in recognition of her dedicated service, efforts, and talents. All unit nominees will receive a Department certificate. The selected Iowa Junior member of the year entry will be sent on to National for further competition. Requirements are as follows:
- Nominee must be a Junior Auxiliary member in the Dept. of Iowa in good standing for the 2016-2017 membership year
- Only one Junior from each unit may be sent to Department for competition.
- Outstanding contributions the Junior has made through programs and projects of the ALA
- The Department Junior President is not eligible for this award
- Years of membership as a junior member is not a requirement
- Nominee’s name, email address, and complete mailing address must accompany the nomination
- A typed-written narrative essay with an award cover sheet not to exceed 500 words telling about the nominee’s accomplishments during the current administrative year.
- Please include pictures, clippings, scrapbooks, etc. either electronically or via postal mail
- Nominations must be signed by the candidate’s unit Junior Activities Chairman and sent to the Department Junior Activities Chairman by April 30, 2017.
- Entries will be judged by the national Junior Activities committee.