Kim Dixon PUBLIC RELATIONS
2162 263rd Street
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Public Relations is the Paparazzi of The American Legion Auxiliary. It is every members, units, districts, and departments job to make sure that all of the great work done by the American Legion Auxiliary is highlighted so get out your camera and get the American Legion Auxiliary on the red carpet!
It is important to make sure that your community, state, and nation know who we are, what we do, and why we matter. The only way we can do this is if we let our lights SHINE and BLOW our own HORNS!
What can I do?
· Set up a Facebook page or Newsletter for your unit or district. Be sure to post pictures and stories on that page about the great work you are doing in your community.
· Utilize your local media by inviting them to meetings and events and be sure to tell them you would love to have an article in their publication.
· Write letters to the editor or press releases about activities. Each and every unit out there is doing one or more of the American Legion Auxiliary programs. All you have to do is tell someone about it!
· Make sure you are wearing your Auxiliary logo apparel when doing activities.
· Templates and materials to help with public relations can be found on the national website.
IMPORTANT DATES: Please have your unit mid-year report to me by Jan 1, 2018 and have your year-end report to me by May 1, 2018. Please let me know in your reports what you have done to promote public relations, if you have gotten media coverage and what kind, how you are using social media to promote the ALA, and what you may be doing to work towards Goal 5 (branding) of the Strategic Plan.
Please check the National website for contests and awards for Public Relations! Unless otherwise noted in the communique, please have those award and contest entries sent to me by May 15, 2018. Don’t forget to include a National Award Cover Sheet.