1200 Court St
Charles City, IA. 50616
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Hebrews 13:1-2 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
As we begin our year with Department President Kelly, please pray that God sends his loving angels to wrap their arms around President Kelly to keep her safe in all her travels and to have a successful year.
As newly elected Chaplains, please pray for our veterans, their families and all of the members of our American Legion Family. Chaplains provide spiritual and emotional guidance when needed. Keep in mind that our prayers and devotional thoughts must be kept non-denominational.
Remember our Veterans by:
- Honor them through Prayer.
- Send cards for appropriate occasions.
- Visit them in their home, nursing home or Veteran Hospital. Give them an inspirational poem, give a hug if possible and always have a smile. Ask if they would like a prayer said before you leave.
- Sending cards, wreathes or flowers for deceased members.
- Holding memorial services and draping your Unit’s Charter in black.
- Opening and closing all meetings with prayer.
- Make a “Book of Prayers and Inspirations” for your Unit President.
- Report deceased members to your District and Department Chaplain.
- Attend visitations and/or celebrations of life. Share words of comfort describing deceased member’s Auxiliary involvement. Present a Certificate of Remembrance for the family.
- Remember Gold Star Mothers in September, Veterans in November, Four Chaplains in February, deceased veterans and members in May.
- Make and distribute “Thinking of You” booklets and have unit members write a small note or message of hope or perhaps a personal prayer to be sent to local nursing homes.
I will be putting together a book of prayers, poems and inspirations for President Kelly throughout her year. Please send me your prayers, encouragements and wishes for her successful year. Her theme is “100 Years of Service Not Self” and her symbol is the Angel. Colors of RED, BLUE and GOLD. You may either email or use my home address.
PLEASE NOTE: Units send member data form for each deceased member to the Department Office by June 30th, 2020 so that I may receive the correct information from Department for the Memorial Service at Department Convention. UNIT CHAPLAINS, please send me your mid-year report prior to December 15, 2019, as well as an end of year report by April 30th, 2020. Let me know what you are doing and I will share with other Units to be inspired.
Best Book of Prayers and Inspirations:
Class I: District Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her District President
Class II: Unit Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit President
Class III: District Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers and Inspirations for her Junior Department President
Class IV: Unit Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers and Inspirations for her Unit Junior President
Rules for all classes are the same with exceptions:
- Use 8½ x 11 paper, pages should be typed (Junior’s can be handwritten). Leave 1” border
on all sides of each page. Use pictures or clipart to decorate
- Cover may be folder of your choice, notebook, construction paper or other decorative paper. Cover page MUST have “Prayers and Inspirations” centered and the American Legion Auxiliary emblem (available through Emblem Sales) at the top of the page.
- The first page shall include the name and address of the member submitting the entry, the class category, unit name and number, county, district and to whom the book is dedicated.
- There is a maximum of 20 pages (40 if using both sides).
- Will be judged on neatness, quality, creativity and content. You may use President Kelly’s theme, symbol and songs. Book should have a theme tying all entries together.
Best Booklet of “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” used for nursing homes or shut ins.
Class I: Any Senior Auxiliary Member Class II: Any Junior Auxiliary Member
Rules for both classes
- Use 81/2 x 11 paper, folded in half. Size of booklet will be 81/2 x 51/2. You may use a 10” plastic photo album. Pages may be typed or neatly handwritten. Use pictures, your own artwork or stickers.
- Cover may be construction paper of other decorative paper folded to correct size. Cover must have “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” centered along with the American Legion Auxiliary emblem at the top of the page.
- First page must include the name and address of the member submitting the book, class category, unit name and number, county and district. Maximum of 20 pages.
- Judged on neatness, quality, creativity and content. You may us President Kelly’s theme or personally created theme. These are not judged by District Chaplains! Please submit your entry directly to Department Chaplain, Mary Mooberry. Emails and Address area on page 1.
Booklets are due to Department Chaplain Mary Mooberry and postmarked by April 30, 2020. Booklets may be picked up at the end of the Senior or Junior Department Conventions.
Department Chaplain Mary Mooberry, 1200 Court Street, Charles City, IA. 50616 641-228-4573 firstname.lastname@example.org