1747 Orchard Ave
Galva IA 51020-8523
Isaiah 6:8 Reads; Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send and who will go for us? Then I said Here I am; Send me.
And these same words from the song “Here I Am” This is the chorus;” Here I am Lord, Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night, I will go Lord, if you lead me, I will hold your people in my heart.”
I often think that as a Chaplain this is the answer we must give. Here I am, Lead Me, Send Me!
As we join together this year we will be “Honoring Our Veterans’ Legacy”.
We can do this by honoring them through Prayer
By praying for our Military, our Veterans, their families, our Great Country and yes our Politicians.
Let them know you pray for them.
Visit them in their home, nursing home or hospital
Sending Cards, wreathes or flowers for deceased members
Holding memorial services and draping your Unit’s Charter in black
Opening and closing all meetings with prayer.
For the American Legion Auxiliary, its members and leaders for success in carrying out our missions.
Make a “Book of Prayers and Inspirations” for your Unit President
Report deceased members to your District and Department Chaplains
Remember Gold Star Mothers in September, Veterans in November, Four Chaplains in February, deceased veterans and members in May.
Make and distribute “Thinking of You” booklets and have unit members write a small note or message of hope or perhaps a personal prayer to be sent to local nursing homes.
Communicate with your Legion Family. Help them understand the part of the Preamble they recite that states “Make Right the Master of Might” and stand strong for One Nation under God”. The World War 1 Veterans knew well what was needed when this organization was founded with the pledge of “For God and Country we organize ourselves together”.
I will be putting together a book of prayers, poems and inspirations for President Mary throughout her year. Please send me your prayers, encouragements and wishes for her successful year. Her theme is “Honoring Our Veterans’ Legacy” and her symbol is the American Flag. Colors of RED, WHITE and BLUE. I have listed 2 emails on the top of this sheet, use either one of them. Or you can mail them to me. Please Pray for Mary’s safe travels and a successful year. Be a Blessing.
PLEASE NOTE: Units send member data form for each deceased member to the Department Office and District Chaplain. District Chaplains please send the names of all the deceased members from your district to me by June 30th, 2019 so that I have correct information for the Memorial Service at Department Convention. UNIT CHAPLAINS, please send me your activity report prior to January 1, 2019, as well as an end of year report by April 30th, 2019. Let me know what you are doing and I will share with other Units to be inspired. Share the Blessing of ”Honoring our Veterans Legacy”.
Best Book of Prayers and Inspirations:
Class I: District Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her District President
Class II: Unit Chaplain’s Book of Prayers & Inspirations for her Unit President
Class III: District Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers and Inspirations for her Junior Department President
Class IV: Unit Junior Chaplain’s Book of Prayers and Inspirations for her Unit Junior President
Rules for all classes are the same with exceptions:
1. Use 8½ x 11 paper, pages should be typed (Junior’s can be handwritten). Leave 1” border on all sides of each page. Use pictures or clipart to decorate.
2. Cover may be folder of your choice, notebook, construction paper or other decorative paper. Cover page MUST have “Prayers and Inspirations” centered and the American Legion Auxiliary emblem (available through Emblem Sales) at the top of the page.
3. The first page shall include the name and address of the member submitting the entry, the class category, unit name and number, county, district and to whom the book is dedicated.
4. There is a maximum of 20 pages (40 if using both sides).
5. Will be judged on neatness, quality, creativity and content. You may use President Mary’s theme, symbol and songs. Book should have a theme tying all entries together.
Best Booklet of “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” used for nursing homes or shut ins.
Class I: Any Senior Auxiliary Member Class II: Any Junior Auxiliary Member
Rules for both classes
1. Use 8½ x 11 plain paper, folded in half. Size of booklet will be 8 ½ x 5 ½. You may use a 10” plastic photo album. Page may be typed o neatly handwritten. Use pictures, your own artwork or stickers.
2. Cover may be construction paper of other decorative paper folded to correct size. Cover must have “Prayers and Inspirations” or “Thinking of You” centered along with the American Legion Auxiliary emblem at the top of the page.
3. First page must include the name and address of the member submitting the book, class category, unit name and number, county and district. Maximum of 20 pages.
4. Judged on neatness, quality, creativity and content. You may us President Mary’s theme or personally created theme. These are not judged by District Chaplains! Please submit your entry directly to Department Chaplain, Jan Schaffer. Emails and Address area on page 1..
Booklets are due to Department Chaplain Jan Schaffer and postmarked by April 30, 2019. Booklets may be picked up at the end of the Senior or Junior Department Conventions.