2162 263rd Street
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
There are many activities and events to help you promote education:
- American Education Week: November 18-22, 2019. Remember to recognize all school personnel, not just teachers.
- Give 10 to Education: Units and members can contribute supplies in groups of 10 to classrooms.
- International Literacy Day Sept 8, 2019: Units and members can celebrate this day by donating books to your school library and encouraging members of the community to do the same.
- Units/Individual members can donate to American Legion Auxiliary education scholarship funds:
- Children of Warriors National Presidents’ Scholarship
- ALA Foundation
- Department, District, or Unit Scholarships
- After donating…PROMOTE the ALA Scholarships by getting the word out that they are available.
- Tell schools about tutor.com/military, a free tutoring website for military children.
- Volunteer in the classroom at your local school. Teachers always need help!
- National Library Week: April 19-25, 2020: Organize a book drive or volunteer!
- Teacher Appreciation Week: May 3-9, 2020: Show your local teachers they are appreciated!
- Schedule a “Veterans in the Classroom” program or a Veterans Day program for students.
These are just a few of the thousands of ideas to promote education. For more ideas and information, see the National Programs Action Plan at www.alaforveterans.org and look under the programs tab to find education.
Department of Iowa Merit Awards: 10 will be given
Mary Virginia Macrae Memorial Merit Award for medical training
Harriet Hoffman Memorial Merit Award for educator training
Department Past Presidents’ Merit Awards
Find the form online www.iowaala.org . Click on forms and scroll to Merit Awards. One form is adequate to apply for all awards. Send the completed form and required attachments to Kim Dixon by June 1, 2020 (address above). Follow the rules precisely.
National Scholarship Opportunities: Go to www.alaforveterans.org and click on Scholarships for details
UNIT REPORTING AND AWARDS: Categories will be decided based on reports received. Entries shall be narrative,1000 words or less. National cover page to include name of the entry, department name, unit name, and name and address of the unit chair. Send entries to Kim Dixon by June 1, 2020. Contact me for more details or questions. Please email me details at the above address if you/your unit does an activity or something to promote education so that I can properly track activities for reporting purposes. Please contact me (email above) if you need any additional resources or ideas for promoting education! Please send you mid-year report to me by December 1, 2019 and your end report to me by May 1, 2020.
National Programs and Awards: Can be found at www.alaforveterans.org.Click on programs, Education 2017-2022 Programs Plan Supplement.